Tuesday 11 January 2011

Why I am joining 23 things


I have just registered for 23 Things Warwick, even though I am part of the 23 Things project team I am sure there are things I can learn from joining the program. For example I don't know a lot about referencing tools, and they will be covered later on.

I think the 23 things program will be a great help to library staff, because web 2 tools are being used more and more by the people we support in the university and having a better understanding of how our users manage their information and communicate with each other will mean we are in a better position to understand the questions they ask and help them to achieve their goals. Not only that but there may be web 2 tools which we can use in our own working lives which can help us to manage our own information, or to communicate with our users in new ways, which will help support and publicise our services.

I do have fair amount of web 2 experience already, having used a range of tools in my personal life, including the obvious Facebook! But I have also found various professional uses for web 2 tools. The Enquiry Support team I belong to manage the Facebook and Twitter account for Warwick Library and use them to field and respond to enquiries as well as using them as marketing tools. we also use RSS feed agregators to pull together blog feeds (through a service called Yahoo pipes) from librarians at warwick and feed them into facebook and twitter, so that people who follow us on those services can also recieve updates from the library blogs.

In my previous role in Academic Support I also made use of the social bookmarking tool, Delicious.com to manage bookmarks of publishers web sites to help me in book ordering. And I use delicious in my personal life to keep track of weblinks that are of interest to me on a range of non-work topics.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the program, and expect to learn a lot from it.



No comments:

Post a Comment